Wednesday, June 18, 2008

"Tropical Bird" By Chef C

This was completed more than a year ago. It was an experimental exercise. I was attempting cubist-style painting. I started with colors in mind, based largely on the limited range I had on hand, and moved from there. The result was a combination of free form and cubist. Somewhat odd, I must admit. Since this initial experiment, I had attempted another piece titled "Mother and Child", which now sit unfinished in our study room at One Balmoral. It is a portrait-style oil painting based on a cover of a book in my collection. Yan has said it is a horrifying image because the child looked still-born. Perhaps that is why I have left it unfinished. I may revitalize the project one day, but until that day comes, it will remain an unfinished piece of work. Painting requires inspiration, and inspiration does not come often enough for me, especially in busy working days like now.

No comments: