Friday, June 13, 2008

Soba Master

Shimbashi Soba at Paragon has been around for a few years now. It remains popular, and has a consistent following. There are a number of reasons for this - the reasonable prices, for instance a bento set here costs about S$25; the short time from order to serving; a healthy menu, which is a common reason for Japanese meals; and the central location of the restaurant, being smack in the traffic flow at the basement of Paragon. But for me, it's the psychological pull - they make fresh Soba in the restaurant every day. A trained Soba master displaying his soba-making skills, live in front of the passing traffic, is an instant draw to the restaurant. Whether or not they will be attracted to try the Soba is just a matter of time. I am a good testimony. Although I have seen the soba master doing his trick many times before, I am still drawn to the window every time I walk past. And each time I do so, the same question will run through my mind, "What does one have to give up to be a Soba master like him?"


No comments: