Saturday, June 14, 2008

Little Taipei in the Lion City

This restaurant at Purvis Street bears the same auspicious name as my father's shop - Lai Lai. It means "Come, Come", literally in Chinese. Straight to the point. Beside the ingenuity of the name, the food is as authentic as one could get in Singapore. It reminds me of little Taipei as I stepped in and browsed through the menu. Stewed specialities in small dishes and iced bubble tea....
We went straight to the familiar dishes - stewed beef tendon, stewed pig intestines, stewed pork knuckles, and stewed pork cubes - and we were instantly transported to Taipei! Every dish was a delight, flavor-rich and aroma-rich. One could finish a whole pot of rice without knowing. The beef tendon was so thoroughly stewed that as I sank my teeth into it, I could feel the tendon melting away. The pork knuckles served here was also unlike any other Singapore-style cooking. No sweet black sauce. It's cooked in authentic Taiwanese style. Simply delicious.

No comments: