Friday, November 7, 2008

Stone selection and installation

I have never thought that the process of stone selection and shopping for suppliers can be a mini project in itself. I am not sure if I enjoyed it, but thank goodness, it's done, and now we are awaiting the final installation of the slabs in our bath. 
It all started with our architect suggesting some exotic looking stone, commonly known as silver travertine.  The name may be misleading as it's not exactly silver in appearance. Rather it's a rock with dreamy veins of grays, browns, pinks and whites, layered and compressed over millions of years, from the mountains somewhere in Italy (like the picture shown here).  It looks good, no doubt and it seems to be in vogue these day. Of course, it comes with a nice price tag too, and that's precisely what got me into my mini project, eventually leading us to our gem find at a stone supplier's place located at Changi North.  The stone factory is somewhat out of the way, but my trips there had been well worth it.  This factory probably has one of the largest selection of natural stones in Singapore. It's not known to retail buyers, but a well kept secret amongst discerning property developers.  Futar Enterprises supplies to many ups-scale retail and residential projects in Singapore like the Orchard Turn and Nassim Park. I believe we had a good run for our money (for the cost of natural stones from this factory is about 30% cheaper than the more well known retail suppliers in town). I will need to thank a friend for the introduction. Believe it or not, after all the trouble and a little education exercise, we didn't go for silver travertine in the end, but settled with volacas marble slabs that cost 40% less. 

Just when I thought my job is over, there is then the dry-laying process that I did not know of. As I had sourced the stone supplier myself, I inevitably had to take a lead in coordinating amongst the supplier, my architect and contractor. The dry-lay inspection is a story in itself (which I do not wish to bore anyone here). Suffice to say, it was a little overwhelming for me as a first-timer, not knowing the trade of the industry and unfamiliar with my right as a buyer. 

Finally, the day came for the delivery of the marble slabs. It was a wet Saturday morning, I received a call from the delivery man while still in bed, saying that I had to receive the goods in 15 minutes! Fortunately, Yan's home is only 3 minutes drive away. We made it in time, in fact in such unbelievable speed that left the delivery man completely astonished, like we just beamed ourselves there! So there we were, standing under an umbrella, receiving the goods in a heavy downpour. It wasn't anything close to romantic. I hastily made out a cheque, sent the guy off, and got us out of the rain, again in a lightning!

As you can see, the marble slabs are indeed precious, for it had taken me a great deal of trouble to get them to our place. Now it has come the time for installation. It was another nervous day for me. Each piece was like a baby, and the installer better handled them with care!

No comments: