Saturday, June 14, 2008

Iggy's

I was told one of the must-try fine dining places for special occasions in town is Iggy's at the Regent. Yan's birthday this year was one such special occasion. I made my reservation one week in advance. I wanted to have the best seat in the restaurant, where both of us could have our own cozy corner, away from the pretentious crowd. We were only interested in the much talked about degustation menu. For the price, I was expecting an ostentascious setting and an elaborate service. But that was not the case. Iggy's place is nothing more than a small eating place slightly larger than a Japanese noodle bar. It sure boasts a very equipped kitchen, with quite a few chefs, but I was expecting more. At about S$250 per pax for a 5 course meal, I felt it was overpriced. Yes, the food is Michelin standard, but overall our dining experience fell far short of a 5-star. The only saving grace was perhaps the extra effort taken by one of its staff who noted that it was a birthday celebration. So, Yan and I were pleasantly surprised to find a catered dining menu with Yan's birthday details printed on it, as well as a on-the-house birthday cupcake. So, it ended well.

No comments: